Sunday, December 11, 2011

Our Home is the Sea

Our Home is the Sea by Riki Levinson

      

Genre: Fiction
Grade Level: 2-4
Summary: A boy thinks that the Sea is his home, because his father goes out to the Sea everyday to fish. The little boy wishes he didn't have to go to school. He is extremely anxious and observable to his surroundings. His grandpa and father fish together. He hopes that someday he will get to go out at Sea. Then suddenly, their home is the Sea.
Theme/Skill: When I smell cookies or see a quilt, I always think of home because my mom is always cooking and sewing.
Pre-reading activities: I would read aloud and have the students follow along with their books.
Post-reading activities: Inform the students that their place that they like to call home does not have to be a local place. It could be a dream spot in another city or country.
Assessment: I would have the students make a poster or a diagram of a place where they feel most comfortable and why. I would have them share their poster/diagram and then hang them up on the wall.
Reflection: Students love hands-on activities and enjoy sharing their personal work.

No comments:

Post a Comment